Friday 28 February 2014

About Last Night - 1986

I'm not sure what it is about the 1986 film "About Last Night" - but I have always loved and been drawn to it.  Based on the original 1974 play "Sexual Perversity in Chicago" by David Mamet - About Last Night is most probably my favourite romantic film of all time.  This film does not need any CGI, special effects, high speed car chases or even explosions.  It is a real film - a story with real people in real situations.  My favourite kind.

The original play by David Mamet.  1974

As the years pass, I keep returning to this film (directed by Edward Zwick) and my love for it never ceases.  It's about sex (there is lots), falling in love, friendship, relationships, breaking up, making up and more sex.  It's about last night.

There are some brilliant acting performances all round here, with this film (one of the original "Brat Pack" movies) being far superior to 1985's popular "St. Elmo's Fire".  The chemistry between the two leads is touching and steamy with plenty fireworks too.  Demi Moore has never looked more beautiful than she does here as Debbie (despite some of the dodgy 80's fashion).  Rob Lowe plays the role of Danny.  Well, I am not gay but he was a handsome bastard, wasn't he?  Backed up brilliantly by James Belushi and Elizabeth Perkins who co-star as the two lovers' best friends who both seem to be hell bent on breaking the two of them up.

"double headphone deal..."
The music also plays a massive part in my love for this film too with a typically upbeat 80's soundtrack; including music from the likes of Sheena Easton, John Waite, Bob Seger, John Oates and Jermaine Jackson.  I actually own the original soundtrack on LP and have it framed in my office at home.  Along with its soundtrack, this film never fails to make me smile and just feel good about life.  And to me, that is everything I want in a film or story.

Director Edward Zwick ("Glory", "Legends of The Fall", "Blood Diamond") has only returned to the "romantic comedy" genre once in recent years; 2010's "Love and Other Drugs", which he both wrote and directed, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway.  I really enjoyed that movie also and these two films share that same kind of spirit and on-screen chemistry, with full rounded characters and I was not the least bit surprised that Zwick was behind "Love and Other Drugs" as well.

The original motion picture soundtrack on LP.
  So, if you want to smile a little, get a little hot under the collar and escape to the 80's for a wee while, give About Last Night a viewing.  If you have seen it before - watch it and fall in love all over again, once more.  Falling in love is easy, staying in love is the hardest part.



The film was remade in 2014 - starring Kevin Hart and directed by Steve Pink.  Please read my blog post for my thoughts about that one.

1 comment:

  1. This was our Go To movie when my roommate and I had a break up or a bad date!

    ReplyDelete